How to program a Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 for Ableton Live

UPDATED *****************
I finally bit the bullet and purchased the amazing iFCB software for an easy $20. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY! You can basically program everything on the FCB1010 to do whatever you want right from your computer. You can download it here http://www.wabbitwanch.com/iFCB.html

If you want to stay the $free.99 route, Severin commented below about a remote control mapping for the FCB1010 that’s ready to roll. Unfortunately I had a little trouble with it, all of the switches were 1 off. There is no support for it so you’re kind of stuck. But hey, it’s free! http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/fcb1010-mappings/.

If you really need something custom for your needs then you can still follow my instruction below, but if you just need it to be a general control surface for Ableton then you can save a lot of time and headache by downloading one of these.
*******************

Here are the instructions for how to program a Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 for Ableton Live. There is ample instruction all over the net but I personally found most of it confusing, sometimes inaccurate, and a headache to sort through the volumes of information for other applications of this unit that didn’t apply to me. So here it is in what i hope to be it’s simplest format.

Here is the beauty in question:

Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010

Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010

Now what was confusing for me was understanding what kind of information needed to be sent from the Behringer unit to Ableton in a way that Ableton could understand. I’m not a big MIDI guy at all. I barely know enough to get by. Whatever messages are being sent out of the box, I have no idea what they are, nor really care. But what Ableton needs from it are CONTROL COMMANDS. And you can set what commands are being sent by each footswitch.

The Behringer has 10 banks of presets. That means you can do everything in this lesson and set up the most schweetest set up ever, then have something completely different for another bank. Nice. I currently only am using one bank. The first one. Zero. The other banks laugh at me at night so I don’t use them.

behringer_a
STEP 1:
Let’s say you want to use Footswitch #1 to start the scene in Track 1 of Ableton. Step on that Footswitch.
STEP 2:
Step and hold the DOWN Footswitch for a few seconds until a little green light starts blinking on the display.
behringer_b
STEP 3:
Hit the UP Footswitch. This takes you into programing mode. Now if some of the lights come on at this point above any of the other Footswitches then press and hold them until the light goes away. The light is scary. It must be gone.
STEP 4:
Press and hold down Footswitch #6. Fear not, you are still programming #1, this is allowing you to enter Systex Send which is that magic controller number that Ableton so desires. The LED light above Footswitch #6 will now stay lit.
behringer_c
STEP 5:
Press Footswitch #6 again but quickly this time and it will start to blink.
STEP 6:
Press the UP Footswitch again. Now a number will appear in the display. That is the command number. I’ve read that you have to only choose from certain sets of numbers but any of them seem to work fine. Now my Axiom has it’s own preset numbers so if you’re using another controller make sure you’re not using any that will conflict, unless you want them to serve the same function. You can enter the command number with the Footswitchs themselves, or you can use the Expression Pedal A to scroll to it.
behringer_d1
STEP 7:
Press the UP Footswitch again and another number will flash. Will probably already be at max 127. This is the velocity. I’d leave it at 127.
STEP 8:
Press the UP Footswitch one last time to go back. Then press and hold the DOWN Footswitch to save everything.

BAM you’re done! Now click on the MIDI button in Ableton Live:
midimapmode1

Find the button that you want to control with that Footswitch and click on it then step on the Footswitch #1 that you just programed. There should be a little white box that appears on that Ableton button with a number (should be the command # you programed). Follow the same instructions for each Footswitch that you want to program.

“But what about the Expression Pedal’s???”, you say. “I want to be able to crank my wah wah while I whammy my Washburn!”. To do that follow STEPS 1-3, then on STEP 4 instead of pressing and holding Footswitch #6 (it should already be lit) you press and hold Footswitch #8 for Expression Pedal A (you may notice that it says EXP A above the #8) or Footswitch #9 for Expression Pedal B (EXP B).

After the light stays lit then press the same Footswitch (8/9) again so that it blinks.

Press the UP Footswitch. Once again you’ll have a number appear on the top display which is the command number. Select which number you want it to be by pressing the numbered Footswitches or using Expression Pedal A.

Once you’ve entered your number press the UP Pedal again and it will display the velocity. Now here’s where it gets a little tricky. Since it’s an expression pedal you don’t just have an ON/OFF function, you have a bottom and top. The first number that blinks will be the velocity when that expression pedal is ALL THE WAY DOWN (as in your heel is on the ground and your toe is on the air). Set it to 00 (that’s zero zero).

Then press the UP Footswitch again. The next number is the velocity when that expression pedal is ALL THE WAY UP (toe down, heel up). set this to 127 (that’s one hundred and twenty seven… you probably knew that though).

Press the UP Footswitch again. Then press and hold the DOWN Footswitch and you’re done!

ACHTUNG! VERY IMPORTANT!!!
This only set’s the expression pedals for which ever Footswitch you had selected at the time. This means you have to redo it (for both EXP A and B) for every Footswitch! Sucks right? Not necessarily. Depending on our function this means you can have the expression pedals serve entirely different functions depending on which Footswitch you are using. That can be pretty useful. Especially if you’re Frank Zappa. But he’s dead.

Related posts:
Using a Behringer FCB1010 and M-Audio Axiom with Ableton Live
My Ableton Live template setup

If this was helpful feel free to drop a donation, thank you!

• + Share/Save

Trackback URL

, , , , ,

99 Comments on "How to program a Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 for Ableton Live"

1. b phillips
    15/05/2009 at 2:51 am Permalink

thank you very much… now I really am looking for the Fed Ex truck!

nothing for me to do but stick things after a vocoder and see what they do.

best regards

2. peterknight
    17/06/2009 at 10:54 am Permalink

Hey thanks for the tips. It’s so great to find really clear instructions like these, it’s generous of you to take the time to put them up. I’ve got most of it sorted now (although the expression assignments to each channel have me a bit mystified)
    Good luck with your music and all.
    Cheers from Melbourne,
    Peter Knight

3. Jeremy
    17/06/2009 at 3:52 pm Permalink

You’re very welcome Peter! Thanks for the kind words! It’s best not to think of the expression pedals as autonomous controllers, but sub-controllers for each numbered pedal.

Example:
    Pedal 1 activates X
    – Exp A controls aa
    – Exp B controls bb
    Pedal 2 activates Y
    – Exp A controls cc
    – Exp B controls dd
    etc…

Exp A and B don’t have to control something different each time. They can control the same thing for each pedal. For myself I use Exp A to control a reverb return level and Exp B to control a delay return level for ALL the numbered pedals. So no matter where I’m at they control the same things.

So you have to program the controller info for each Exp pedal within the settings of each numbered pedal.

Hope that makes sense! Best of luck!

4. Neil
    04/07/2009 at 3:26 am Permalink

Hey – great lesson and i’m just about there. Just one part I didn’t get. When you finish the loop record the track monitor comes on and we can hear it – how did you do that simultaneously? It seems like just one pedal click / midi cc right? Or are you hitting two buttons at the same?
    The loop record start and finish button is just one control – on/off. So when i tried mapping to that AND to unmute the track it’s not possible because the track starts off muted (and so we’d hear the signal straight away on starting the loop record).

Thanks for all the help! Great setup!

5. Jeremy
    04/07/2009 at 9:06 pm Permalink

Thanks Niel! The monitor is only having to do with incoming signal. In this case all of the live instrumentation. But it only has to do with incoming. If there’s something already there it will play it. So although the monitor is set to off (and after recording the loop the monitor stays off, it actually doesn’t change) when you finish recording your loop, then the loop plays because now it’s no longer live but a recorded loop.

So basically monitor controls incoming signal only (guitar, vocals, etc), mute/solo/volume controls preexisting material (loops that I’ve already recorded that I can play to). The pedal is just operating record start/record stop for that channel. Hope that makes sense. If you need further explanation just let me know!

j

6. Severin
    10/07/2009 at 7:13 am Permalink

Hi, did you check this one already? Works well!!

7. Jeremy
    10/07/2009 at 9:28 am Permalink

That’s awesome! Thanks Severin! I’ll give it a go ASAP. I’ll add that link to my posts. Really good stuff (and way fewer steps!).

8. Bryan
    24/07/2009 at 12:49 am Permalink

Cool page. I have one of these Behringer foot controllers. I use it for my lighting system and run it on stage when playing smaller venues.

have a question regarding it.

Could I use this for my lights AND to control my guitar midi system AT THE SAME TIME? Meaning, if I need to change guitar sounds or lighting schemes, will it screw up the other?

Example- Got the lights going. Looking groovy.
    Want to change guitar to a different midi patch. Can I do this without changing the lights? Is there a way to go to another BANK of settings and leave the first bank (the lights) running?

Thanks!

9. Jeremy
    24/07/2009 at 1:10 am Permalink

Absolutely. For instance I only use Bank 00 currently. You could have Bank 01 do something completely different. Anything you want really. And there’s 10 banks (I think) total so you can have different banks serve different functions and not conflict. I imagine you’d need to use different controller #’s though even if they’re on different banks since the receiving end doesn’t know the difference. Like use controller #’s 10-40 or whatever just for guitar (on Bank 00) and 60-80 for lights. Etc. (on Bank 01).

That’s a brilliant idea actually. I hadn’t even though of that. I might have to give this a go myself!

10. Bryan
    24/07/2009 at 1:52 am Permalink

thanks. Hmm, just bought a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a midi mate to change the rocktron. Probably coulda used the Behringer and saved a few hundred. Dang!

11. Jeremy
    24/07/2009 at 2:19 am Permalink

Man I hear ya. I just lucked out really. I’m very happy with the unit. I have had plenty of buyers remorse on other things though. But alas…

12. Etric
    28/07/2009 at 6:55 am Permalink

I have found tutorial very helpful. I’m having problems with the Exp pedal assignment.
    Basically, I have pedals 1,2,7,5 to Scene Launch, Scene Up, Scene Down and Stop, respectively (perfect!). What I would like to do is have Exp A control the Master volume of Ableton while keeping the functionality of pedals 1,2,7,5. I can’t seem to make it work. Do you have any ideas?
    Etric

13. Jeremy
    29/07/2009 at 2:47 pm Permalink

Hey Etric! I’m so sorry for the late reply! That is definitely possible, but you’ll have to set the expression pedal for EACH footswitch.

So you’ll have to go back into programming footswitch 1 (Steps 1-3), then follow the instructions for setting up the expression pedal (listed in towards the end of the post). Then save. Then go back into the programming for footswitch 2 and set the same controller number you just used previously and save. Then so on and so on for each pedal. Basically you’re setting up the same controller # for the expression pedal for each footswitch.

Then when you’ve done all that just map it to your master volume in Ableton. Hope that helps! If you need further explanation don’t hesitate to ask!

14. Phil
    14/08/2009 at 2:04 pm Permalink

Oh my gosh! I’ve been looking for someone to explain this stuff forever!

Too bad I have to go to work now,… but I’m excited about coming home and reading more of your tasty bits on Ableton, midi, etc…

15. Jeremy
    14/08/2009 at 4:01 pm Permalink

Oh good! Well I hope it helps. If you have any questions just ask. Thanks Phil!

16. michael
    26/08/2009 at 2:44 am Permalink

I did everything you said, it’s actually pretty easy. But I still can’t get Live to recognize the pedal I pressed to play a scene. I used to use the mapping system from the link suggested above (http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/fcb1010-mappings/) which worked flawlessly with my g4 iBook. Now that I have this new Intel MacBook, that mapping system won’t work either. And I really need to control Live with the fcb1010 for live performances. All I want to do is play down through the scenes with one pedal. Live is blinking to show it is receiving a MIDI message, it just won’t take the pedal as a controller. Any ideas (I’m so desperate!).

17. michael
    26/08/2009 at 2:49 am Permalink

Uh, never mind. I just didn’t press the “remote” tab in Preferences. Works fine now… I’m such a dork (but no longer desperate).

18. Jeremy
    26/08/2009 at 3:17 am Permalink

LOL. That is awesome. Well I’m glad to hear you got it working! Cheers!

19. zeke
    14/10/2009 at 2:03 am Permalink

hello. . . pretty much have your exact set up and as many people as you have helped i have some how screwed things up anywayz.
    I believe i programed everything in bank 00 to channel 12 and assigned them to notes, which works. However your instructions are telling me to assign things to sysex send which i did to hopefully get the exp pedals working but to no avail. In ableton when i assign switch 1, ableton tells me its in channel 12, note c-2 and i cant use the expression pedal with it.
    Also heres my midi routing logic : m-audio 1614 midi out ->midi in axiom 61 ->axiom 61 out -> fcb1010 in -> fcb1010 out -> m-audio 1614 in. Right? Because the axiom is also not working and not showing that in ableton that i am hitting midi notes.
    Do I have to change axiom to channel 12 as well?
    Can I assign fcb1010 to something other than notes?

I dream of this fog to be cleared and having a sweet set up such as yours to .. . . make something people would call music. :0 help. . .

20. zeke
    14/10/2009 at 2:56 am Permalink

ok. . . so i figured out the fcb1010 so its just the axiom which i think is the easy part ehh?

21. Jeremy
    14/10/2009 at 3:21 am Permalink

So you have the FCB1010 working? I’m not totally following you on what you mean by Channel 12. You’re assigning command #’s which are not the same as notes. Otherwise if you set a footswitch to, let’s say, Middle C, then when you hit the middle C on your MIDI keyboard it will execute the command as well. Command #’s are numeric only.

Now the expression pedals should be sending a different command # than the footswitches. If footswitch 1 is set to command # 14 then the expression pedal A could be command #18 or whatever and expression pedal B another # entirely. So footswitch 1 could be MIDI mapped to arm track recording on track 1, and expression pedal A could control the volume of the Master and exp pedal B could control, I dunno, the tempo if you want :-) .

Now on the MIDI routing I don’t run any units through each other. I run the Axiom and the FCB1010 both directly into my laptop via USB. The Axiom already has a USB out so I purchased a M-Audio MIDI Sport Uno (I think it’s called) to run the FCB1010 into the USB. It was super cheap.

The Axiom “should” be already ready to map in Ableton. Unless it was reconfigured at some point it’s already set up to talk to Ableton out of the box. If you want the stop button on your Axiom to stop Ableton, just MIDI map it in AL and you’re good to go.

I hope that helps. If you need further help email me at jeremy/waysidedrive.com (obviously replace the / with @). Happy to help if I can!

22. Marc
    14/11/2009 at 10:59 pm Permalink

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the instructions here, this is my first venture into music software and most discussions about it are incomprehensible to me. This was very easy to follow and very helpful…

That being said! I’m running into a little problem with footswitches 5, 7, and 10. It seems like no matter what command numbers I enter for those switches (step 6 in your diagram), Ableton always reads switch 5 as “Pitchbend”, it reads switch 7 as “CC 21″, and it reads switch 10 as “Note C-2″. I’ve tried moving to a different channel and that didn’t work. Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or how to fix it?

And while I’m here, another issue that has come up is that Ableton apparently won’t let me move left-to-right, track-to-track using the simple “purple” MIDI-mapping system. Some people have said I need to use the “Tranzport Emulator”, but I haven’t found much in the way of explanation on how to do this. And I guess I’ll need a list of MIDI notes. Do you have any insight on this? (And perhaps have this fabled list…?)

And the more I’ve thought of this, it seems like my next hurdle could be starting/stopping recording on a track. Using the MIDI mapping, I would need to assign one footswitch to each track that I want to record on — but what if I want to create 50 tracks in a song? I would need 50 switches? Even though the multiple banks would probably allow this, that seems way too cumbersome. I need the Behringer to tell Ableton, start/stop recording on the “Current” track, not track 5 or track 11 or whatever…you know what I mean?

Anyway thanks for providing a forum that allows me to ramble like this. Good stuff you’ve got here… I appreciate any input you may have.

23. Jeremy
    16/11/2009 at 11:19 am Permalink

Hey Marc! I’m really glad to hear you were able to follow my post easily. I can certainly relate. It’s frustrating to plow through dozens and dozens of lessons or tutorials and they’re never exactly what you need or not clear to follow.

Unfortunately I don’t have any good news for you on the issues with footswitch 5, 7, and 10. That makes no sense at all. Perhaps a faulty unit? Did you get it used? If new see if it’s under warranty. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

And… no good news on the left and right scrolling. There isn’t away to do that through basic MIDI mapping. You would have to have a controller for each track. It’s awfully silly that they don’t have that!

So no saving the day from me today. Sorry Marc. I wish I could be more help. Best of luck!

24. Jeremy
    16/11/2009 at 11:42 am Permalink

I was just thinking… so you can’t scroll left and right, but the FCB does have 10 banks. So let’s say in Bank 00 you have 8 of the 10 footswitches set to operate tracks 1-8 and you reserve 2 for scrolling up and down, then in Bank 01 you can those same 8 footswitches operate 9-16 and the 2 remaining for scrolling up and down again, etc. If you do that for all the banks you could have, if my math serves me correctly, 80 tracks you can operate with the FCB. Just an idea :-)

25. Marc
    16/11/2009 at 7:43 pm Permalink

Hey Jeremy, no worries. Like you said, Ableton should have these features native in Live. Someone from one of the Ableton forums suggested a few reference materials for this “Tranzport Emulation” thing. I’ll try to sort through that stuff. If I figure out any of it, I’ll post back with whatever I find. For all us musicians out there who don’t speak computer.

26. Jeremy
    16/11/2009 at 8:06 pm Permalink

I assume it will have functionality beyond just scrolling left and right? I might need to look into that myself. If you have any luck let me know and I’ll add it to my original post. Thanks Marc!

27. Marc
    16/11/2009 at 10:29 pm Permalink

OK I’m happy to report some success! I was able to figure out what are, for me, the basic functions I need. However, the functionality is much more expansive than what I’ll show here. My goal now is to figure out some of the more secondary functions that I may need.

So first off, this process is called Tranzport Emulation — I guess it means, having the FCB1010 emulate the Tranzport controller. I’ve read about Mackie Emulation too, so I guess this can be applied to other controllers. Anyway, first you have to go into your Live Preferences, go to the MIDI Sync tab, and select “Tranzport” as your Control Surface. Then I chose my interface (FastTrack Pro) as my input and output, but those settings will depend on how each person has all their gear set up, I think…

Next I went to the FCB1010. This part is important: from what I’ve read, you MUST use Channel 1 on the FCB1010, and you have to program MIDI notes instead of Control Commands. The process is almost identical to the steps you outlined for CC’s, except you want switch 10 to blink instead of switch 6 (steps 4 and 5 in your diagram), and you skip the velocity step (step 7 above).

Here are the MIDI notes you program for some functions that I personally find important:

48 (represents MIDI note C2) — Move Track Left

49 (MIDI note C#2) — Move Track Right

00 (MIDI note C-2) — Arm Current Track

120 (MIDI note C8) — Start/Stop Recording on Current Clip

Here’s the link to a page in the Ableton forum where they discuss other functions. Partway down the page you’ll see a bunch of commands listed. It should be noted those commands are for a PadKontrol which I guess is skewed up one octave for some reason. So when I translated these to the FCB1010, I went down one octave from whatever’s listed there…

So that’s what I’ve got so far. I’m going to try to figure out a few others, like “reverse current clip”, “pan left/right on current clip” (I’m guessing an expression pedal would work for that), maybe even copy and paste so that I can copy a clip or a scene and paste it into the next scene. Stuff like that. These might not even be possible and if not, I’m happy that I can at least do the basic stuff. I hope this helps others out there. I’ll post when I have more info…

28. J.P Romano
    27/01/2010 at 4:16 am Permalink

Thank you so much Jeremy.. I do have a problem.. just go this FCB1010 and followed your steps to the T however every time I press the UP or DOWN switches the banks do not go UP or DOWN, instead red lights light up inducatinf Switch 1 or Switch 2.. any idea why this is?

29. Jeremy
    27/01/2010 at 10:21 am Permalink

Thank you J.P.! There’s only 2 reasons I can think of. Are you completely out of programming mode? If not that could be why the banks aren’t switching. Or did you buy the FCB1010 used? If so it might have been programmed for a completely different usage and needs to be reset. I wouldn’t imagine the up and down switches would have changed, but you never know. If it’s none of the above I’m afraid I’m stumped. If you’re on Twitter you can ask them directly too! http://twitter.com/behringer

30. J.P Romano
    28/01/2010 at 3:04 am Permalink

Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy, my guess is that you might be correct in the fact that I might still be in programming mode. The problem is that I do not know how to exit that programing mode so that I can freely navigate banks using the UP & DOWN switches, furthermore; once I learn how to fully exit programming mode, how would I be able to pick the bank I want to program if I cannot navigate to it once I’m in programing mode? Does that make sense? (I hope it does…)

31. Jeremy
    28/01/2010 at 3:53 am Permalink

I don’t have the unit right in front of me but I’m pretty sure to get out of programming mode you just press and hold the footswitch that you pressed and held to enter programming mode. Like if you were in Bank 01 and programming footswitch 2 you would press and hold footswitch 2 to program it. When you’re done I believe just press and hold 2 again.

And to answer your question about being able to navigate to the bank you’re wanting to program, you don’t. You program in the bank that you’re currently in. If you’re in Bank 01 then all the footswitches you’re programing will be under Bank 01. If you’re in Bank 04 then its the same, all of the footswitches you program while in Bank 04 will simply be under that bank. Make sense?

32. Jason
    31/01/2010 at 12:30 am Permalink

Hey Jeremy,
    Thanks for the awesome tutorial. I’m having a few problems though… I’ve programed a preset using your instructions, and am trying to use it to activate and deactivate devices and effects in Ableton.

Some background: I’m not looking to use the FCB1010 for recording just yet or for setting up loops live. For the moment I just want to be able to change the instruments and effects linked to particular audio and midi tracks. So I’d turn guitar/bass effects on and off, swap in and out drum kits triggered by the electric drum set, or turn off the electric piano my keyboardist is using and give him an organ. The idea is to do all this on the stage.

So using the preset I made with your instructions, I’m able to turn an audio effect on (linking the pedal to the “device activator” button), but for some reason it won’t turn off when I hit the pedal again. I’ve also tried programming the FCB1010 to send notes, and get the same problem. The “device activator” button turns on and off just fine with keyboard mapping. Any thoughts?

As for swapping drum kits and keyboard instruments, any suggestions on how you would go about doing that?

33. Jeremy
    31/01/2010 at 3:52 am Permalink

Thanks Jason! I’ve tried a very similar thing but with my Axiom keyboard. The problem isn’t on the hardware end. Sending a control # is still a control #. The issue is the parts of Ableton you’re trying to trigger. I tried using buttons to turn an effect on/off (more accurately activate/deactivate) but had the same issue. It would turn on but then not off again and for some reason it does it with keyboard mapping. Sorry I don’t have any answers for you on that one! You might try some Ableton forums for that.

However, couple that issue with the desire to swap out instruments. One of the advantages of Ableton is for the most part you can do just about anything you like if you can dream it up (after a lot of trial and error). Let’s say for example you wanted to switch between 2 drum sounds. You could simply have 1 drum sound on track 1 and another on track 2 then have a FCB1010 footswitch simply mute or unmute one of them. You could also do that with an effect. If you have a vocal mic running in and you want to turn the reverb on and off, simply have one track with reverb on it and one without and have them both set to the same incoming signal. Hardly ideal but it would probably work. Try to think outside the box in terms of what you can do and how you can get around limitations.

34. Jason
    31/01/2010 at 5:27 am Permalink

Thanks Jeremy, I’ll try out the muting option. I imagine that might eat up more CPU though. In any case if I find another solution, I’ll post it here. Thanks again.

35. Jason
    02/02/2010 at 12:59 am Permalink

Yo Jeremy: thought I’d share this on your site, which is so useful for FCB newbies like myself.
    One possible solution to the problem of using CC or note commands to turn devices on and off in Ableton is to use a software that converts CC commands into keyboard strokes. This is one such software: http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/
    Basically, the problem with FCB and on/off is that the “device activator” function in Ableton wants to hear a CC of 64 or higher to turn things on, and a value of 63 or lower to turn things off. However, the FCB does not have a function in which one step on a pedal sends one CC value, and the second step sends another. From what I gather on the Interweb, this has driven FCB users so crazy that some dude in Belgium invented a hardware solution to create such a “stompbox” solution http://www.ossandust.be/midi-footcontroller-support.php. I actually ordered the chip from a US supplier for 12 bucks, thinking what could it hurt, but then found the midi-keystroke program and thought it a bit less invasive.

36. Jeremy
    02/02/2010 at 10:20 am Permalink

Jason that is brilliant! Thank you so much for posting that. Very cool!!!!

37. Jay Stone
    13/02/2010 at 6:38 am Permalink

Wow, thanks for this post Jeremy. I have a problem though I’m hoping you can help with. I am able to follow through all the steps above with the FCB1010 responding accordingly right up until the last step when you say, “BAM you’re done! Now click on the MIDI button in Ableton Live.” I do this and then select the command that I want Ableton to do and Live shows me “1/PB” in the cell I select. However, when I get out of “Edit Mini” mode and back into Ableton, I will hit “1″ on the FCB and nothing will happen in Ableton. In other words, something isn’t completing the sequence completely. Any help would be unbelievably appreciated!

38. Jeremy
    13/02/2010 at 12:11 pm Permalink

Thanks Jay! I’ll reply via email.

39. Ali Steele
    18/02/2010 at 11:38 am Permalink

You are a genius, thank you SO much!

I’ve been struggling with the behringer manual for several hours trying to program the stupid thing without managing to make sense of it, and you did it in five minutes!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Ali

40. Jeremy
    18/02/2010 at 12:50 pm Permalink

You’re very welcome! That’s why I put it out there. That manual is pretty awful. I’m really glad it was able to help you.

Listening to your myspace right now. VERY cool stuff. I friended you up from my band Wayside Drive.

41. krik
    19/02/2010 at 9:26 pm Permalink

hey man, your a legend

thanks loads for this. I havent tried it yet but I have the loops ready in Ableton and the footswtich coming tommorow
    so crossed fingers

respect for helping out with this

krik

42. Jeremy
    20/02/2010 at 12:12 am Permalink

You’re very welcome! Good luck with it! I updated your link btw ;)

43. Hans
    23/02/2010 at 6:57 am Permalink

Have you or anyone else here routed the FCB thru Ableton to be able to control a plugin?

I have the FCB set up to trigger loops in Live. I play bass thru an empty channel and have it set up fine, and have configured expression pedal A for volume control of the channel. I have the AMPEG SVX bass plugin (Amplitube) on that channel and it all works fine when I change presets manually with the mouse however I want to be able to use the FCB to at the very least scroll up and down thru my presets.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

44. Jeremy
    23/02/2010 at 1:22 pm Permalink

Hello Hans! Unfortunately I don’t think that may be possible. In Ableton when you go in to “MIDI mapping mode”, whatever is highlighted in blue you can MAP with MIDI control #’s. So open up your Amplitube (I’m assuming your presets are in Amplitube itself?) and with it open go into MIDI mapping mode and see if what you need is highlighted.

If that doesn’t work leave Amplitube open and go into “Key mapping mode”. At least I think that’s what it’s called :-P . It’s the one that lets you do the same functions but with strokes from your keyboard. It will highlight all the available functions in orange. If what you need IS highlighted then you can turn your FCB commands into key strokes which I found out about from the post above this one by Jason. He said…

If neither of those work I’m afraid you’re out of luck. At least to the best of my knowledge. Good luck!

45. tim
    23/02/2010 at 3:53 pm Permalink

Hey, i have my fcb1010 running into my axiom midi input.. how do i get it to not take over the controls of the axioms master section?

46. Jeremy
    24/02/2010 at 2:12 am Permalink

That I’m not sure about. I don’t run my FCB into my Axiom, I run it straight into the computer. If you’re programing the FCB then you can set it to whatever MIDI control command #’s you like. If you know what control #’s your Axiom is already sending just program the FCB to different #’s. Sorry that’s the best I know. Good luck!

47. krik
    27/02/2010 at 11:42 pm Permalink

Hey

I now have the fcb1010 and im trying it in Ableton. I have done the programming but cant get the thing to talk to ableton

Im doing it via a midi to usb cable and selecting in and ou usb devise in midid preferences in ableton…
    but no luck :(

it doesnt show a small light on the in area top right in Ableton and also of course doesnt recognise me trying to programme

As im trying to get scene one to play with pedal one, scene 2 pedal 2 etc etc

any ideas?

Thanks

Krik

48. Jeremy
    01/03/2010 at 2:13 am Permalink

Thanks for the comment Krik! If you’ve programmed the FCB then I can’t see why Ableton isn’t picking up on it. Especially since you selected it in the preferences so it’s obviously reading the FCB. Unfortunately I don’t have any trouble shooting solutions for this. Perhaps try a system dump on the FCB and reprogram it? Maybe starting from a clean slate on the FCB will do some good.

Sorry I wasn’t more help! Good luck!

49. krik
    01/03/2010 at 4:18 pm Permalink

Thanks for getting back Jeremy.

Still no luck

Ive tried a factory reset, a dump, but it doesnt seem to recognise the dump

so frustrating!!!!

Cheers

Krik

50. krik
    01/03/2010 at 4:59 pm Permalink

The god of midi has spoken

Ive solved it….N.B. if you have a midi lead that had midi in and out on it…just use the midi out bit or it doesnt work!!

woo hoo..

i shall link to an on -line gig we are doing in a couple of months fo you to check it out in action along side the m audio oxygen controler and playing guitar

Although Im sure ill be back on here with more probs at some poitn soon :)

Thanks for the help

Krik

51. Jeremy
    03/03/2010 at 10:25 am Permalink

Thanks great Krik! I’m so glad to hear that! And yes DEFINITELY send me the link when you do the online performance. I would love to check it out. I’ve been wanting to do that exact thing myself but haven’t had the time to look into it.

52. Michael Emenau
    08/03/2010 at 3:25 pm Permalink

You just saved me hours of tediousness I’m sure and thank you greatly.

PS if you had a little paypal “donate” button, I would have dropped you a fiver for sure. Don’t be shy with your knowledge. I’m to busy to be reading and making sense of translated German manuals:)

best

MNO

53. Jeremy
    08/03/2010 at 4:25 pm Permalink

Wow thanks Michael! Yes… that needs to be done. And soon. In fact thanks for the reminder, I need to take care of that. Thanks I really do appreciate it!

54. Jeremy
    09/03/2010 at 3:28 am Permalink

I checked out your website tonight. Very nice! I enjoyed the music very much. Thanks again Michael.

55. s110185top
    28/04/2010 at 6:27 pm Permalink

Hi
    Do you have UNO firmware in fcb1010 ?
    coz i done what you wrote in fcb and in ableton live (version 8) after hiting switch it behave like it is still turned on. it’s not behaving like on off switch. i mapped Footswitch #1 do Track Launch and after armin the track i hit Footswitch #1 it starts recording and stops after lenght one and then it looks like the button for starting clip is still turned on. do you have any suggestions to me ? help ?
    thanks. and thanks for good work here. yours tutorials are alway very useful! Regards

56. s110185top
    28/04/2010 at 7:17 pm Permalink

my firmware version is 2.4.1c

57. Jeremy
    28/04/2010 at 8:48 pm Permalink

Thanks for the comment! No I don’t have UNO firmware. Does the firmware set the board up to send MIDI command #s? The only thing I can think of is the FCB is sending an unusual command # so Ableton is reading “something” and launching the track, but the command is messing up the process somehow. Sorry I have no solid answer for this one! Wish I did.

58. TLelyo
    03/06/2010 at 8:45 pm Permalink

Hey guys, I noticed a few comments back people were trying to get effects to turn on and off. An easy way of doing that is by assigning MIDI notes instead of CC#’s to your pedal. Mark at 16/11/2010 did this and explained making #10 blink instead of #6 but that’s a quick fix!

59. Jeremy
    03/06/2010 at 8:51 pm Permalink

Absolutely. Thanks for the comment!

60. Kristian
    15/06/2010 at 1:33 pm Permalink

Thanks a lot! Really great help to read your blog. Just bought a FCB1010 the other day and your tutorial made setup so extremely simple and easy compared to reading the boring instructions booklet :) Thanks!

A have a question for you. As you loop away in your video tutorial, the sound seems beautifully unaffected by the “warp” function but is looping non the less. I can’t seem to find a way to make the newly recorded clips loop without the unwanted warp function. Do you know if it’s possible to loop without warping?

Thanks again!
    All the best
    Kristian

61. Jeremy
    15/06/2010 at 1:56 pm Permalink

Wow Kristian, that has to be the most eloquent comment I’ve ever received! :) . Thank you! Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way around looping without the warp but there are ways to make the warp sound a bit better. Below the warp button there’s a drop-down menu for what type of warping you want to use. Your options are “Beats, Tones, Texture, Re-Pitch, Complex, Complex Pro”. Your selection here will affect how the loop sounds. “Complex” and “Complex Pro” I believe are designed to allow the most flexibility in the warped loop. It should be able to encompass beat, tone & texture. I think that’s the case. Now sometimes you try those and it still sounds bad so then try another one like “tones” or something. Experiment with which ones work best for you. You can also set your Default Warp Mode in your preferences. It’s under Record Warp Launch. Best of luck!

62. D
    17/06/2010 at 11:30 am Permalink

I’m goin crazy tryin to set my FCB1010 with ableton 8, i’m finding it real hard to find a good setup technique can you help at all?

63. Jeremy
    17/06/2010 at 11:37 am Permalink

I’d need to know a little more of what your needing exactly.

64. Joseph G
    23/06/2010 at 5:11 am Permalink

Thank you so much for this excellent article, it helped me out tremendously.

65. Jeremy
    23/06/2010 at 9:26 am Permalink

No problem. You’re very welcome! Listening to your band now. Holy crap. Great stuff!

66. John
    28/06/2010 at 11:45 pm Permalink

behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller not working, or frozen? tried factory reset nothing? all the lights are on…. and +96 is showing in the bank display.. dunno… ?

67. Jeremy
    29/06/2010 at 12:23 am Permalink

Sorry John, I can’t help you with that one. Not that familiar with the device. Sorry man. Good luck!

68. John
    29/06/2010 at 3:59 am Permalink

no prob,, thanks.

69. K Zustang
    04/07/2010 at 10:48 pm Permalink

Hi Jeremy,

It’s great to have a guiding light like yourself to show us blind people the way.
    I just got an FCB1010 and I went and programmed it just as I you suggest and everything looks great.
    The thing that is troubling me is this:
    In ableton, when pressing an “ARM” botton on any track, it depresses the “ARM” button for the tracks which were previously armed (unless you use Ctrl). This is a great thing, however, when I map a midi CC on the FCB1010 (or even a keyboard key) to this exact ARM button, it behaves as if the Ctrl is pressed, thus mapping the arm buttons on tracks 1-8 will result in all buttons pressed and not switch between the armed tracks as the mouse click would.
    Do you have an FCB1010 or an ableton solution for that? if you do that would save a whole lot of work and make things much easier when recording.

Thanks for your wonderful pages (and videos).

Doron

70. Jeremy
    05/07/2010 at 2:09 am Permalink

Hey Doron! Thanks for the nice words. I checked out your site and really liked your stuff! I think I understand your question. For my technique you need to manually control-select ALL of the arm buttons for the tracks you want to record on. This is done first and then you don’t touch the arm buttons after that. Now for the tracks that are pre-selected to record, in order to record on those specific tracks you need to route your FCB1010 to launch the scene on those tracks.

On my other lessons on using a FCB1010 with Ableton here if you look at my first spreadsheet illustration titled “Behringer FCB1010 Control with Ableton Live”, under the Ableton screenshot there is a small selection of the MIDI mapping mode that shows you how to launch selected scene for looping. This is only visible when in MIDI mapping mode.

When you do this you’re not arming the track because it’s already armed. You are simply routing the FCB to just select the scene and it will record on its own since it’s already armed. Hope that makes sense. If you need further help let me know!

71. Jay Legaspi
    08/07/2010 at 3:06 pm Permalink

Hey Jeremy :)

Just wanted to say thank you so much for so many enlightening articles! I’m really digging your stuff!

I had a few questions if you don’t mind regarding your setup– forgive my noobness, since I just got into ableton recently (as in…. 3 days ago haha).

1. In your setup, does it require you to already have a BPM and # of bars to record determined?
    2. Super noob question- but are you actually recording audio as you loop? I ask because I’m looking at using the Looper effect, which doesn’t necessarily record anything into the actual project.
    3. In your setup, do you have anything that let’s you mute tracks?

Thanks so much! Keep doing what you’re doing :)

72. Jeremy
    08/07/2010 at 3:37 pm Permalink

Hello Jay and thank you! We are all noobs at some point :) . The BPM can be anything you like. You change the BPM on the top left next to the “tap” button. It should be a default of 120. Now if you need to change the BPM within the same project there’s a way to do that too. The # of bars is also set by you. There’s another button on the top that should be a default of “1 bar”. That means the loop will start recording at the next bar if the session is currently playing. You can adjust it to be anywhere from 8 bars to 1/32. Now the length of your loop is up do you. It will keep on recording until you stop recording.

And yes it’s recording actual audio into your session. You can change what type of audio you want to record like WAV or AAC. You can also loop MIDI parts which can save some computer juice if your session is hefty.

Now for muting tracks, you can either manually go in an click the mute button on that track, or if you have a MIDI controller that you’re using you can MIDI map one of your controls to select a mute button or even the volume fader (which is what I do).

Hope that helps!

73. Jess Gulbranson
    13/07/2010 at 5:02 am Permalink

Hey- so essentially, this was the most helpful blog post I’ve seen in a long time. I just got the FCB1010 and was totally overwhelmed, as I’m not a huge MIDI head and most of the tutorial’s I’d seen ended in failure. This one was clear and concise. I ended up using one of the freely available editors and that made the process even simpler. Now I actually feel confident to use those 9 unused banks and play around with Guitar Rig, etc. :) Thanks again, Jeremy!

74. david
    13/07/2010 at 8:30 am Permalink

Thank you so much for your work! i searched a long time to see the most impressive tutorial of the web about fcb1010. thanks to you (and marc who show us how to map basic midi event like rec, play current clip etc.. and note on). Now, it works perfectly with my live 8 ! I can use my fcb1010 like a sampler !!

David,
    France

75. Jeremy
    13/07/2010 at 9:55 am Permalink

Wow thanks Jess! I’m not a big MIDI head myself. Or very technical in general so I thought I’d lay it out very plainly for others like myself. I really appreciate it. I checked out your book on Amazon. Wow! That looks quite cool! I might have to pick me up a copy.

Cheers.

76. Jeremy
    13/07/2010 at 9:58 am Permalink

Thanks David!!! I really appreciate it. I love being able to share what I’ve learned as others have done for me. Keep it up, thanks!

77. Jess Gulbranson
    15/07/2010 at 4:31 pm Permalink

Hey Jeremy, I’m doing a post on the blog I write for, Crappy Indie Music, highlighting some friends of mine who have released great free albums recently. Just wondering if you mind me putting some Wayside Drive up? Might steer some people your way…

78. Jeremy
    16/07/2010 at 1:39 am Permalink

I would be honored Jess. Thanks for offering. Let me know what you need from me! Thanks! Listening to Coeur Machant right now. AWESOME.

79. Jess Gulbranson
    21/07/2010 at 5:07 pm Permalink

Hey Jeremy, here is the post where I mentioned you! Hope you like.

80. Jeremy
    24/07/2010 at 7:08 am Permalink

VERY COOL! Thank Jess! Sorry I was just now able to read it. My wife and I just had a baby on Wednesday :) . Thanks so much for the post!

81. tHEbLUEbISHOP
    02/08/2010 at 2:45 pm Permalink

Hi Jeremy.

First, sorry for my English. I´m from Spain and I´ll try to explain myself in a good way. I´ve keeping mi FCB for years without “expanding” its capabilities with MIDI software (I used it with Beringher and Line6 hardware) and I´m having some absurd issues. I´m not asking you to solve them but to contrast experiencies if it doesn´t bother you.

Sometimes I can connect without problem to my Ableton+Guitar Rig, “learning” from Guitar Rig. I do it by sending simple notes with the switches. Sometimes, it fails. Meeeeec. I tried your configuration this morning. After reading it, it was the kind of steps that I would have followed by myself, so I tried. Meeeeec. I´m using a pretty cheap USB-MIDI cable, so here it comes my main question: Did you have any problems regarding your MIDI interface? I mean, does your SO go “dumb” with MIDI devices sometimes? Does the order in which you plug-in things and start software have any effect? (‘now I plug…’, ‘first I run Ableton…’, ‘now I kill that sacred lamb and…’). As it seems like a ‘random’ problem, I started to think about bad hardware quality and Windows as a SO in a bad combination. My USB-MIDI has leds for in and out, and sometimes they don´t blink, sometimes they blink but Ableton doesn´t realise, sometimes blink and Guitar Rig is OK, …

I feel like a dumb alchemist, unable to replicate your config and (that´s worst) my own old running config for GR, xD Could you give us any recommendations for the turning on sequence, for example? That way, at least, I can replicate same steps without worrying about some “obvious step” that I forgot.

Thank you in advance and thanks for your time.

Daniel.

82. Jeremy
    02/08/2010 at 5:17 pm Permalink

Hello! Unfortunately I don’t seem to be having any of those problems. My set up is quite simple though. I go from the FCB straight to my computer with a cheap M-Audio Sport MIDI to USB cable. I’ve never had any problems with it. Some people try to run the FCB’s MIDI into an audio interface and then to the computer and I know they sometimes have problems with that method.

In terms of ordering a sequence, if you meant programing the FCB I simply use the method detailed in the lesson. If you mean the order I turn things on, I usually plug in all MIDI devices and turn them on before I open Ableton. You can always verify that Ableton is reading them in the Preferences.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

83. tHEbLUEbISHOP
    02/08/2010 at 6:44 pm Permalink

Oh, thanks for your answer!

I’m almost sure it´s my USB-MIDI cable. Too cheap, too pretty.

And congratulations, new dad. (I´ve just read last comment before mine)

See you and thank you again.

Daniel.

84. Jeremy
    02/08/2010 at 7:02 pm Permalink

It seems like it. And thanks Daniel! It’s the best thing ever!

85. Behringer Mixer
    19/08/2010 at 3:20 pm Permalink

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!!
    especially when it comes to Behringer Mixer and how to program a Behringer

86. Seth
    31/08/2010 at 9:06 pm Permalink

hey jeremy,
    i just got my fcb and had a couple questions. do you find yourself using the preset mapping in ableton that severin posted or are you doing more of your own thing?

my main problem is that i want to assign exp A to the crossfader in ableton to do smooth fades between A and B but when i attempt to assign it (after following your instructions) in ableton, the values 00 and 127 seem to be absolute and toggle between A and B in ableton without allowing for a smooth transition. i wonder if this is an issue or a parameter that needs to be changed/set in the fcb itself, regarding the exp A because even when i am in the preset mode in the fcb i am not able to scroll through the numbers with exp A but rather it just jumps from 01 to 127.

thanks for your help.

s

87. Jeremy
    31/08/2010 at 9:18 pm Permalink

Hey Seth! I’m not sure what mapping by severin you’re referring to so I guess I’m doing my own thing? :P

It sounds like it’s got to be something with the FCB itself. Have you tried MIDI mapping ExpA to another fader or knob? If it’s only toggling between the 2 extreme values on all faders then it’s definitely got to be the FCB. What about ExpB, have you tried that one?

88. Seth
    01/09/2010 at 3:55 am Permalink

there was a post from last year from a guy named severin and he gave a link to pre-loaded FCB controls that you can unzip and load.

i figured out the issue. i just needed to calibrate my expression pedals. actually figured this out through the manual! thanks for all of the info

one other question. is it not possible to use the expression pedal independent from the footswitches? what i mean is that i assigned expA to the crossfader but it will only function if i have footswitch 8 activated (LED lit). if i am using footswitches 1 and 2 to toggle through the scenes, i cant use the expA to control the crossfader until i activate footswitch 8.

89. Jeremy
    01/09/2010 at 1:50 pm Permalink

That’s a special kind of cool there, haha. I totally forgot about that. Wow, that’s embarrassing :P . Since I already had the FCB programmed I never got around to trying it. Thanks for the reminder!

The answer to your question is yes and no. It may be different with Severin’s set-up but with this you have to program the expression pedals with each footswitch, but if you program the same control # each time then the expression pedals with perform the same function no matter what footswitch you may be using. So if the ExpA is set to control # 32 and you program the same control # 32 with ExpA for each pedal, then ExpA is always control #32. It’s time consuming to do but once you’ve done it then it’s done.

90. Live Cams
    02/09/2010 at 5:22 pm Permalink

I don’t believe it’s a First Amendment issue either. However, I do believe it’s a Fifth Amendment issue and a Tenth Amendment issue and at most, this should be a state matter

91. Seth
    03/09/2010 at 9:50 pm Permalink

thanks jeremy,
    i understand what you are saying about the expression pedals and programming to the same control number. I just went through and did that, now no matter what switch i have pressed, the expA works but now all the functions i had programmed to the other footswitches have stopped working. for example i had footswitches 1 and 2 toggling the scenes, now ,after fixing for the expA, when i try to map them in MIDI map mode, it just says pitchbend and doesnt work

92. Seth
    03/09/2010 at 9:55 pm Permalink

also, the function that your return (enter) bar on the computer keyboard has, which goes to the next scene and launches it, is it possible to assign a function like that to one of the footswitches.

thanks

93. Jeremy
    03/09/2010 at 10:00 pm Permalink

I’ll reply to you on email :)

94. Esteban
    28/09/2010 at 12:37 pm Permalink

Hello!

Im using the FCB1010 with ableton live, and, thanks Jeremy, Im doing extensive work with the pedal .

But, after months working, Im tryng to set the Exp pedal….without success..

Live recognize the 8 and 9 switches, but after mapping, the pedals doesnt move the channel volumen Im tryng to set.

I set in the FCB the values, and save….I done it with the ten banks , without problems!

Can somebody help me?

Thanks,

Esteban

95. Jeremy
    28/09/2010 at 3:19 pm Permalink

Thanks Esteban! Well… I’m sorry to say I’m stuck. I can’t think of what’s happening. Have you tried resetting the FCB? Maybe it has something glitchy and a restart will clear the slate. Sorry I couldn’t help!

96. Esteban
    01/10/2010 at 5:10 pm Permalink

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy…
    Yes, I have restart (1 + 6 and ¨on¨)…and is the same.
    Maybe I misunderstand something (my english is not the best ; ) )
    Only a little question…
    On the STEP 4, you say about the switch 6 ¨it should already be lit¨-
    If not,
    I must press and hold the switch 6, then the little press to blink the light, and ¨then¨ press, for example, swith 8, then little press to blink and then setting?
    Is this correct?
    Excuse me for my bad english, and thanks for your time.

97. Jeremy
    01/10/2010 at 5:26 pm Permalink

Hello Esteban! You are right that in Step 4 you press and hold Footswitch #6, then press it again to make it blink (In Step #5). But after you make it blink you then need to press the “Up” footswitch (In Step 6) to display the command # that you’re trying to program. Do not press anything else except “Up”. So far so good?

98. Esteban
    14/10/2010 at 3:39 pm Permalink

Sorry Jeremy…
    I have tryed the expression pedal and still doesnt run.
    Can you contact to me by mail?
    I can send to you step by step how I program it, and you can correct it easily.
    Thanks for your time, again.
    Esteban

Trackbacks

1. [...] - My Ableton Live template setup - Using a Behringer FCB1010 and M-Audio Axiom with Ableton Live - How ...

Hi Stranger, leave a comment: