Using a Behringer FCB1010 and M-Audio Axiom with Ableton Live

Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010

Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010

[caption id="attachment_235" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="M Audio Axiom 49"]M Audio Axiom 49[/caption]

I use both a Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 and a M-Audio Axiom 49 to control Ableton Live. The Behringer is ideal because as a guitarist I can still record loops using my feet. The Axiom is about the coolest thing ever. With it I can control the loop volumes, record, tweak, etc..

In order to make it work you need to put Ableton into MIDI map mode. It’s the button on top that looks like this:
midimapmode
When you click on it it will highlight the areas of Ableton that can be modified by a MIDI controller. Then click on one of the blue highlighted areas that you want to control, then hit, turn, or turn up the controller that you want to use. It’s as simple as that!

Now the Behringer required some programing on the unit itself. I might post instructions on that at a later date. There are instructions all over the internet though. The Axiom already has a preset that works with Ableton once it’s loaded. Mine is pretty close but there were a few functional things that I wanted to do differently so I just manually set it all up.

Here are some chart’s detailing how I use them. They pretty much speak for themselves…

Click on images to view or download a larger version from Flickr

behringer_full

axiom-sliders

axiom-knobs

axiom-transport

Related posts:
How to program a Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010 for Ableton Live
My Ableton Live template setup

If this was helpful feel free to drop a donation, thank you!

• + Share/Save

Trackback URL

, , , , ,

20 Comments on "Using a Behringer FCB1010 and M-Audio Axiom with Ableton Live"

1. b phillips
    14/05/2009 at 8:56 pm Permalink

got here because of the behringer tag, but disappointed that you omit it’s setup steps

2. Jeremy
    14/05/2009 at 9:09 pm Permalink

Sorry. I’ll post it tonight. I just don’t have it in front of me right now so I don’t want to leave out a step. It’s rather painless I promise. If you check back tomorrow I promise I’ll have it up :-)

3. b phillips
    14/05/2009 at 10:00 pm Permalink

well, thanks for the quick response. you’re probably right. got one coming from ebay, soon. just can’t wait, I guess.

4. Jeremy
    15/05/2009 at 2:19 am Permalink

Believe me I understand. Well it’s done! Go to the home page and you’ll see it. Hope it helps! If you have further questions email me

5. Patrick
    20/08/2009 at 5:04 pm Permalink

Thanks for posting this

Just got A8…looking also to get the 1010 for looping(used to have one years ago for guitar rack unit control…yeah it’s a pain to set up but works great)

I set up my axiom 25 transport exactly the same as you have, but I’ve also reprogrammed the sustain pedal as follows:
    Ctrl assign: 147
    Data 1: 9
    Data 2: 127
    Data 3: 0
    Assign the pedal to launch selected scene |>
    Preferences: Select next scene on launch : [ON]

Now every time you press the pedal it will fire the scene and move to the next.

6. Jeremy
    20/08/2009 at 7:03 pm Permalink

Brilliant! I’m so going to try that tonight. Great suggestion thanks!

7. chor74
    01/02/2010 at 11:01 pm Permalink

This is great info Jeremy. Thank you so much

8. Jeremy
    02/02/2010 at 10:15 am Permalink

You’re very welcome. Thanks for the comment!

9. César Santos
    07/04/2010 at 2:11 pm Permalink

Muito bom esse post Osborn, têm info. sobre usar um FCB1010 Behringer e M-Audio Fast-Track Pró com Ableton Live, me ajudaria muito! Obrigado.

10. Jeremy
    07/04/2010 at 2:33 pm Permalink

Thank you César! I don’t speak Portuguese and used freetranslation.com. I am not sure if you were posting a question but thanks for the compliment! :)

11. César Santos
    07/04/2010 at 3:12 pm Permalink

It excuse me for the Portuguese, excite with the information, therefore they are few tutorias. First congratulations by the post.Osborn. I have and work with ableton 8 and use a “Fast Track Pró” of M-Audio, I finished buying FCB1010 Behringer and still did not I obtain operates-her. I thank itself will be able to help myself with any information as to those equipment, of as the configures-them. hug’s here of Brazil!

12. Marco Raaphorst
    17/07/2010 at 1:20 pm Permalink

what kind of sound interface are you using for guitar? I noticed that you got not much latency while running directly through live’s effects.

I am using a Novation Nio right now, usb2 which has a bit too much latency for best live looping using the Looper

13. Jeremy
    17/07/2010 at 11:16 pm Permalink

I’m using the Edirol FA-101 as my audio interface for all instruments and vocals going in. I specifically bought that because it boasted a low latency. Also it’s firewire which makes a huge difference on latency.

You know though, I’ve been thinking about latency a lot lately and thinking that it might be better to just run everything through and external mixer and then come out of the mixer to your computer with Ableton. You couldn’t be able to use any of the Ableton effects but you wouldn’t have any latency since Ableton would be come a “back end” looper if that makes sense. I’ll be thinking on that.

14. bob phillips
    09/08/2010 at 6:18 am Permalink

came back to this, just recently. decided to get the uno modified rom for fcb1010..

the motivation was having an editor for configuration running on my windows box.

seems to be working. take a look at the yahoo groups site

15. Jeremy
    09/08/2010 at 2:47 pm Permalink

Hey Bob! You know I came across the uno quite a while ago and then forgot about it. My curiousity is definitely perked. I might have to get one for myself. Thanks for the comment!

16. Jeremy
    09/08/2010 at 2:55 pm Permalink

Hello again Bob! I remember now why I never got it, the programing software that comes with it is PC only and I only have a Mac :( . Alas, thems the breaks. thanks for the comment though!

17. Rokybul Imrose
    17/08/2010 at 6:57 pm Permalink

Hi,

How do I connect FCB1010 with M-Audio Axiom 61? (Please describe MIDI cable patching)

Br,
    Imrose

18. Jeremy
    17/08/2010 at 7:06 pm Permalink

Hello! I don’t plug the FCB into the Axiom, I just plug them both individually into the computer. So the FCB isn’t controlling the Axiom, they’re just acting as 2 independent controllers.

19. RImrose
    18/08/2010 at 9:36 am Permalink

Hi Jeremy

Many thanks for your quick response. So, in that case I need to have a MIDI to USB converter. What you think about “M-Audio MIDISport UNO 1×1 MIDI Interface with Cables and Connectors”, should I go for it?

I’m novice on MIDI issue and need your support. Can I use MIDI merge unit like “MidiBox 4-in/4-out USB 2.0 64-MIDI Interface Thru/Merge Box” so that Axiom and FCB will be connected together into merge unit and USB to PC. Is it possible, if so than what about performance! Could you please write something about MIDI merge unit using some practical devices? Think people will be benefited out of that.

Regards,
    Imrose

20. Jeremy
    18/08/2010 at 1:50 pm Permalink

Of course! That is the exact MIDI to USB cable I use and haven’t had any issues with it at all. And you can’t beat the price!

I also have a 4/4 MIDI thru box but honestly I never use it. The Axiom already has a USB out so with the UNO for the FCB I just run them both in seperately. If your worried about tying up 2 USB ports I think it would be more beneficial to just get a USB hub than a MIDI box.

Another reason I avoid running MIDI devices through other interfaces is it leaves less room for problems. I just hear about too many problems with the interface itself and it adds one more element to trouble shoot. I’m very happy with just keeping it simple and running them both in seperately but it’s personal preference I suppose.

Hope that helps!